Tuesday October 1, 2019
Since the beginning of time, breastfeeding has been the way to nurture and provide nutrition for newborn babies in all mammals alike. With the phenomenal creation of infant formula milk, this has helped saved a lot of babies’ lives during the absence/death of the mother. In addition, any lactation problems the mother might face or even the absence of breastfeeding due to time constraints. As dietitians, it is our job to advocate and encourage exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months of life, as per the WHO guidelines.
- Helps mother lose pregnancy weight
- Triggers the uterus to shrink back to pre-pregnancy size
- Lowers the risk of breast and ovarian cancer for the mother
- Enhances the bond between mother and baby
- Causes less stomach upset, diarrhea, and constipation in the newborn baby
- Contains antibodies that reduce the risk of viruses, urinary tract infections, inflammatory bowel disease, gastroenteritis, ear infections, and respiratory infections, allergies and eczema
- Helps to prevent obesity and non-communicable diseases such as type 2 Diabetes and Hypertension
The benefits of breastfeeding are numerous, but amongst them the risk reduction against breast and ovarian cancers is the most important one. In many studies targeted towards breastfeeding benefits, researchers found that for every 12 months of a breastfeeding woman, the risk of breast cancer decreased by 4.3%.
At Slim and Lite, we have a variety of healthy food packages which can be tailored to breast feeding mothers by focusing on high consumption of fluids. Moreover, consuming enough calories to maintain breastmilk while shedding off excess fat simultaneously.
Subscribe to our customized healthy food packages by calling 800-GETSLIM. Book your appointments with any of our qualified dietitians in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Al Ain today.